Back to School

Well, I survived my first day back at school. I was incredibly stressed last night. The last week and a half were crazy around here, and then all of a sudden it was time to go back to school! We didn't have much for instructions other than the date and time to be there, so I was stressing about where I should park, what I should be taking, etc etc. But I needn't have worried, it was a relatively laid-back first day.

Before I tell you about my first day back, let me say that I did bake over the summer, and I even started one or two blog posts about it, I just didn't finish or publish them. I will someday finish them (at least one of them), but I was intending to make it more of a pictorial-style post, so I need to attempt to make the recipe again and remember to take pictures along the way!

One of things that most excited and seduced me into taking this course is the fact that every year, each student gets to design and present their own wedding cake model. We have the opportunity to buy them for our own display purposes, but otherwise they will be displayed in the window on Wellington Street for the next year (approximately)! So, we spent the day researching and designing our cakes, and then cutting out our styrofoam pieces.

It seems like the guidelines have been restricted a bit this year, making it that much more of a challenge! Our cakes can be no more than three tiers, with the bottom tier being no more than 12" diameter, and each tier being no more than 4" deep. We may use pillars between the layers, but if we do, they must be handmade - no plastic! And every cake must include 3 specific design elements: piping with a bag & tip, piping with a parchment cone, and at least one gumpaste/fondant flower. Before today I had a design in mind, but these new guidelines completely dashed those dreams. I think I have an idea of what I'll do, but I feel very limited in my options. I'd like to explore and attempt some really cool techniques that are trending right now, but they don't necessarily include the mandatory design elements, so I'm a bit disappointed. But I will find a way!

So, the first day back wasn't terribly exciting, but exciting things are coming. I hope you're looking forward to following the rest of my journey - I'm looking forward to sharing it with you. :)

Comments

Popular Posts