First Post on a New Blog

(Almost as satisfying as writing on the first page of a new diary/journal!)

Sometimes you just need to be able to share your thoughts with nobody in particular. Just to get them out of your head. I have a few other blogs, but I didn't think these thoughts would be appropriate on them. Not that they are inappropriate thoughts, and I don't have any followers anyway. If anybody reads my blogs, they never comment, so I don't know!

So, I've decided to create this new blog, because I can! This will be my personal Thoughtful Spot where I plan to do all dreaming, babbling, venting, and goal-making that's unrelated to the content of my other blogs. (Also, in case you aren't aware, the "thoughtful spot" phrase comes from the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A.A.Milne. Pooh's thoughtful spot is a secluded spot with a log for sitting on, halfway between his house and his best friend Piglet's, where he does all his important thinking. Thus, My Thoughtful Spot). My blog posts will probably never be very short. I don't have much to say out loud, but I always seem to have a lot to write.

On my mind today: this coming weekend. I'm really excited about visiting my friends Sarah & Angie and their respective husbands Jess & Tim and families. I haven't seen either of them since June, and Sarah & Jess and their gorgeous baby boy are moving across the continent at the end of the month. So I reeeeeeally wanted to make this work. This will be the first time I get to meet C - I'm excited! I've seen lots of pics, of course, but it will be so much fun to actually see his adorable little face in person. Angie also has a new baby, the lovely lady A, and toddler G. :) I'm looking forward to meeting her little princess, too. A precious baby girl in a family of boy grandchildren! I don't have that many (close) friends with girls, so I'm happy to join the masses of friends and relatives who spoil this little one!

I'm not sure what all the weekend will hold, but I do know it's going to go by too quickly. A 4.5 hour drive down on Friday to Sarah's, a get-together Saturday with Angie and some other friends, and a 4.5 hour drive home again Sunday afternoon. *Phew* But it'll be good. I hope. ;) I just hope I'll get home and to bed at a decent time so I won't be too tired for work on Monday after such a whirlwind weekend!

It's really no fun living so far from friends. It's not that far, I know - it's obviously do-able. But it's definitely not a trip you would make every weekend. Facebook is my lifeline in these instances, to be able to keep in touch with these friends and busy moms. But, honestly, I think in the last year I've seen these girls more often than I've seen or heard from the friends that live practically next door to me (Ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration...). Life gets pretty hectic when you're married and/or have kids - I get that. People are working or in school, taking care of babies, just living in general, and making time for other, newer, more relevant friendships. This aspect of growing up stinks - plain and simple. Being the friend from the past that your friends have outgrown... but not making new friends yourself. So you're left with... a bunch of friends who don't have time for you anymore and who have moved on.

That's why, when you find yourself a good friend who cares enough to keep in touch on a weekly basis at minimum, no matter where they are... you cling to that friendship for all you're worth! I'm blessed to have one such friend. (It helps that she's also single. Could be a different story if she had a significant other like the rest of my friends). I see her less often than I see any of my other friends because she lives so much farther away - especially this year - but we write all the time, and sometimes that's all you need. Sometimes, tho... you still need someone nearby to go to the movies with, or meet at Tim Hortons, or go shopping with... and I haven't had a person like that around for a long time.

Next subject of discussion: my job. It's the most unstable thing in the world, just about. I've been here just over a year now, and while there are aspects I don't like (as in any job), it's been a pretty good year. I get along well with my coworkers, I like my bosses, but most important to me is the fact that they don't care that I'm not perfectly bilingual, and they're so flexible. It was a God-send when the job came along initially as a 2-week contract in 2010, and it has continued to be that. When they hired me, they told me that they couldn't guarantee a long-term employment because work comes and goes in waves, but they wanted to be able to keep me on as long as possible. What started as 5 days a week, quickly became 4 because of the lack of work, and in the last few months I've been pretty sure that I could easily cut back to 3 days and still not be overwhelmed with work. For the past month (and particularly last week) I've truly feared that the end is here. I spent probably 45% of my time last week looking everywhere for work to do and another 35% entertaining myself by reading blogs and online magazine articles. I started applying for jobs and had an interview... but now, suddenly, this week we are flooded with jobs and there's talk of me going back to 5 days (at least for a little while)! Absolutely unpredictable. I don't really mind, except when it comes to trying to decide whether I need to find another job or not...

Well, I guess that's more than enough information for one post. If anybody's reading this... hi! Leave me a comment. Let me know if you can relate, or not, to these thoughts...

Comments

Popular Posts